Traveling with a Horse! (Health & Safety Checklist)
Traveling with horses is not something that anyone should ever take lightly. Whether you have 1 horse or 6 of them in your trailer, you are responsible for the lives of some precious cargo. With that said, it is essential to ensure that you are ready for any situation or obstacle that may occur while traveling down the road (and Lord knows that will be more often than you think). So I have put together a checklist that should go along with your regular Jackpot Packing List- this one lays out the basics of what you need to ensure the health and the safety of you and your horses while traveling down the road.
1. Check the truck and trailer
2. Bring water and food (for your horse) from home
3. Bring the correct transportation papers
4. Bring Electrolytes
5. Plan out stopping points for long trips
6. Load everything first, and horses last.
7. Bring a horse's first aid kit
8. Put bedding in the trailer to avoid leg issues
9. Allow for recovery time
10. Use a packing list to ensure that you don't forget anything!
I hope that this blog has helped you guys have some mental clarity for how to travel with your equine athletes! Thank you for taking the time to read it and I will see you in the next one!